Who we are
How do you contact us?
- Telephone: 703-684-0410 | 800-666-3863
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personally Identifiable Information
AFP collects information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to you. (“Personally Identifiable Information”).
We use different methods to collect Personally Identifiable Information from and about you including:
Personally Identifiable Information you give us
AFP may collect and process the following Personal Information:
- Contact information you provide when participating in discussion boards or other social media functions on our website, or when you contact AFP to report a problem. This may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
- Membership information you provide during the registration process, or by your employer on your behalf. This may include your name, credentials, address, phone number and email address (business or personal), age, job title, and any other information related to your membership.
- Due payment information such as credit/debit card and account numbers used to register or renew your membership.
- Purchase information related to purchases made by members and non-members of event attendance and participation, books, products and other services. This may include financial information as well as information concerning the content and time of the purchase.
- Ethics sanctions related to violations of the AFP Code of Ethics. This may include information about a member's business or professional activities, including employment information, and similar information relating to other individuals involved in the investigation.
- Certification information related to certification programs, in which members are granted certification if they meet specified educational/employment experience requirements and/or pass an exam. This may include information about the experience/performance of those certified or accredited.
Personally Identifiable Information we collect from third parties
We may receive Personally Identifiable Information about you from third parties such as social media services, commercially available sources, business partners etc. The Personally Identifiable Information collected may include your name, contact information and your transactions/purchase history, demographic data, information about your activities on other websites etc.
Personally Identifiable Information and Non-Personal Information collected via technology
As you interact with AFP Sites, AFP may also collect information about your browsing history or certain other information through your use of and visits to the Sites and our use of a variety of technologies, including, but not limited to, cookies, tags, web beacons, Internet Protocol (IP) address, and other tools.
"Cookies" are pieces of code/text placed on your computer when you browse AFP Sites. AFP or third party advertisers may place cookies. “Tags” and web beacons refer to code scripts that are primarily used to track visitors’ activities on our Sites by web analytics software. The types of data collected on our Sites through the use of these, and other tools as AFP may add from time to time, may include: the search terms you used, new or returning user data, browser information, computer type, operating system, internet service providers, website usage, referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, number of clicks, ads viewed, etc. Additionally, cookies, tags and other tools placed by third parties may collect other information about you and your visits to Sites and elsewhere on the Internet including, but not limited to, your industry, company size, job function, seniority level, etc.).
Use of Personally Identifiable Information
Personally Identifiable Information may be used in a variety of ways including, but not limited to:
- Provide service communications such as bill reminders, order confirmations, program registrations, and member messages;
- Respond to emails or online requests for programs, services, or information;
- To deliver and process surveys in an effort to enrich AFP’s programs and services;
- Personalize and improve the usability of AFP Sites;
- Fulfill and/or deliver top quality AFP programs and services;
- Publish membership directories and registration lists as described below;
- Tailor content, advertising and marketing;
- Share with third parties as required by law or to protect AFP as described below;
- Share your email address as permitted under “AFP Email Policy” as described below;
- Properly administer our Sites;
- Ensure Site content is properly delivered to your device; and
- Keep our Sites secure.
Membership Directories and Registration Lists
To allow AFP members and the public to find AFP members, the Personally Identifiable Information AFP receives may be published on AFP Sites and other print or digital media, in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, directories, membership lists, and other types of registration lists for AFP programs and events (“Directory Lists”). Directory Lists will never include sensitive or financial information, such as credit card or bank information, or social security numbers. Users may request that their information be suppressed from Directory Lists by contacting email@example.com.
Sharing Personally Identifiable Information for Business Purposes
When fulfilling service requests initiated by members, AFP may share Personally Identifiable Information with certain third parties to fulfill such requests. AFP may also share such information with service providers that perform business functions. For example, AFP occasionally contracts with other companies to provide limited services including, but not limited to, packaging, mailing and delivering promotional offers, answering membership questions about programs or services, consulting services, data modeling, printing, sending postal mail and processing event registrations.
AFP will only transfer your Personally Identifiable Information to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
Provided you have given your consent as required under the applicable law, AFP may share Personally Identifiable Information, except for email addresses and sensitive/financial information, in order to provide third parties an opportunity to offer products or services that may be of interest to you, which helps contribute non-dues revenue to the AFP.
Sharing Personally Identifiable Information when Legally Necessary or to Protect AFP Interests.
AFP may disclose Personally Identifiable Information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with a legal process served on AFP; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of AFP; or (c) protect the personal safety of AFP personnel or members in appropriate circumstances. In addition, if AFP and/or its assets (or a portion of its assets) are sold, assigned, transferred, or merged, information may be transferred as part of that transaction or change.
Sharing Email Addresses Pursuant to AFP Policy
AFP will never sell email addresses. AFP will not provide email addresses to anyone outside of AFP personnel unless required, in rare circumstances, as outlined in said policy. AFP will not share email addresses to unrelated third parties, affiliates, or AFP members. Please recognize, however, that email addresses may be visible to other members, others who have interest in AFP and AFP events, as well as the general public through Directory Lists as set forth above. AFP may also share email addresses with third parties to enable AFP to take security measures to help protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of data.
How to Manage the Sharing of Your Personally Identifiable Information
You can manage your profile and email preferences, including opting out of email either online at http://afpglobal.org/MyProfile or by contacting AFP at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will generally ask for your consent to receive marketing communications in line with the applicable law when you first provide your Personally Identifiable Information. Additionally, if you prefer to receive mailings only from AFP and have your name and address removed from the list AFP provides to certain companies, please contact AFP at email@example.com. For California residents, please consult the “Your California Privacy Rights” for additional considerations.
How AFP May Use and Share Non-Personal Data
Through the use of various technological tools, AFP may collect Non-Personal Data to improve the usability of our Sites/Services and for other business reasons. AFP may share the Non-Personal Data AFP collects with third parties or permit third parties to place tools like cookies, tags and web beacons, to collect additional Non-Personal Data when you browse our Sites. AFP or other third party companies may then use the Non-Personal Data to provide advertisements and targeted advertisements to you (ads based on the Non-Personal Data). AFP does not share Personally Identifiable Information with third parties with whom AFP shares your Non-Personal Data. Please understand that you may be subject to the privacy policies of other non-related AFP companies when you select an advertising link or other link that takes you to sites not operated by AFP.
How You Can Manage the Collection of Non-Personal Data
Third party advertising companies may collect data about your visit to our Sites and others to provide you more relevant advertising here and elsewhere on the Internet. This type of advertising is known as Online Behavioral Advertising. You can stop this collection and use of data for these purposes by companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) by visiting the “Opt Out From Online Behavioral Advertising” website http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1#!/. By opting out, the ads you see may be less relevant, and you may still continue to see other non-targeted advertisements on our Sites and elsewhere.
California Privacy Rights
Canada Anti-Spam Law (CASL)
AFP complies with CASL http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home. Non-AFP Members or Associates who have provided AFP with a Canadian mailing address will not receive unauthorized Commercial Electronic Messages (CEMs as defined under CASL) unless these individuals have opted-in to receive CEMs.
If you are based in the EU, in certain circumstances you have rights under data protection laws in relation to Personally Identifiable Information we hold about you—specifically:
- Request access to your Personally Identifiable Information. You may have the right to request access to any Personally Identifiable Information we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the Personally Identifiable Information, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the Personally Identifiable Information has been shared, where possible, the period for which the Personally Identifiable Information will be stored, the source of the Personally Identifiable Information, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your Personally Identifiable Information. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate Personally Identifiable Information we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your Personally Identifiable Information. You may have the right to request that Personally Identifiable Information held about you is deleted.
- Request restriction of processing your Personally Identifiable Information. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your Personally Identifiable Information.
- Request transfer of your Personally Identifiable Information. You may have the right to request transfer of Personally Identifiable Information directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
You can exercise your rights by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFP will not knowingly collect personal data online from or market online to children under 18 years of age.
User ID and Password
Certain areas of the Sites may require the use of a user ID, email address, or password as an additional security measure that helps protect personal information. To help protect your privacy, AFP Sites have tools to help you log in and log out.
Linking to Other Internet Sites
How to Access and Change Information
If you are a registered user of AFP, subscriber to AFP publications, purchaser of AFP programs and services, or an AFP member, you may review and update and/or correct your personal information directly on the AFP’s website.
Last updated July 29, 2018